Monday, March 17, 2014

Why I hate The Rainbow Fish

Ok, that is probably a strong word. Dislike a lot? Yeah. Have a problem with? Yeah...

At first, I felt really bad not liking this book. We got it as a baby shower gift from my SIL, and she wrote this heartfelt message in it about how it was her favorite book as a child and how you can make the world a more beautiful place if you share what makes you special. It sounds like a really nice book. It's also beautifully illustrated. I seriously wanted to like this book. Ugh! But I just don't! 


So, the book starts out Once Upon A Time there was this really beautiful fish. The other fish of the ocean would occasionally ask him to play, but he preferred to just swim by and let them admire his beautiful rainbow scales. 

So he's a loner. An introvert. So what? There's nothing wrong with that. He didn't say anything mean to the other fish, he just didn't want to play.

So one day, a little blue fish comes up to him and says, "Please give me one of your shiny scales. They are so wonderful, and you have so many."


First of all, the little blue fish doesn't ask for a scale. He demands it! There's no question mark in what he says. He says, "give me one of your scales." Period. That's rude. Period!

Second, he says, "you have so many." So what! It doesn't matter if he has 1 or 100. They're his scales, not yours, little blue fish. I wouldn't walk up to some one I've seen around and say, "Hey, give me your shirt. I really like it, and I know you have a whole closet full of them at home." Again, very rude.

So, the Rainbow Fish says, " 'You want me to give you one of my special scales? Who do you think you are?' cried the Rainbow fish. 'Get away from me!' " 

You tell him Rainbow Fish! Who does that little blue fish think he is??

"Shocked, the little blue fish swam away. He was so upset he told all his friends what had happened. From then on, no one would have anything to do with the Rainbow Fish. They turned away when he swam by." 


Really?? So the little blue fish goes around bad mouthing the Rainbow Fish to all of his friends! What an a-hole! And now no one will even talk to the poor Rainbow Fish because the little blue fish is spreading roomers about him. Very mean-girl-esk! 

So, the poor, lonely Rainbow Fish talks to the starfish, who sends him to the octopus. She tells him, "This is my advice. Give a glittering scale to each of the other fish. You will no longer be the most beautiful fish in the sea, but you will discover how to be happy."


So yeah, you basically need to buy your friends back. 

The Rainbow Fish doesn't think that he can do that. "Give away my scales? My beautiful shining scales? Never. How could I ever be happy without them?" 

Now at this point, I actually had some hope for this book. I thought this might lead into something along the lines of "giving away your material possessions to those less fortunate can make you really happy." But no... 

The little blue fish comes back at that point and says, "Rainbow Fish, please, don't be angry. I just want one little scale."

Again, no actual asking. The little blue fish is only thinking of himself. "I want". "I just want one little scale". Yeah well, there are a lot of things I want too, little blue fish...


But the Rainbow Fish broke down and gave him a scale. "The little blue fish whizzed through the ocean with his scale flashing, so it didn't take long before the Rainbow Fish was surrounded by the other fish. Everyone wanted a glittering scale." 

That sounds menacing to me! They surrounded him! They were all trying to get a glittering scale for themselves! That sounds mob-like to me! What would have happened if the Rainbow Fish said, "Sorry, that was just a one time gift for the little blue fish. My scales aren't up for grabs." What would the mob of fish have done to him?? Take them by force?? Know what that sounds like to me? Bullying! (Oh yeah, I pulled out the B word!)

The Rainbow Fish pretty much had no choice at that point, but to give away all of his beautiful scales. "Finally the the Rainbow Fish had only shining scale left. His most prized possessions had been given away, yet he was very happy. 'Come on Rainbow Fish' they called. 'Come and play with us!' 'Here I come,' said the Rainbow Fish and, happy as a splash, he swam off to join his friends. 

Well sure he's happy now! He bought all the fish off to make them like him again. Of course they want to be friends with him now. What a great lesson to teach kids! "In order to get friends, you need to give them gifts" and "People won't like you if you don't give them what they ask (demand!) for" and "If you say no to people, they won't be your friends any more."

And if you didn't notice, the Rainbow Fish just so happened to have enough scales to give one to all the other fish and still have one left for himself. Let me ask, what would have happened if there had been one extra fish? Would the Rainbow Fish have been left with no pretty scales at all? Or what if he wanted to keep that last scale for himself and not give it to the extra fish? Would that last fish have gotten angry because the Rainbow Fish didn't want to share with him, like the little blue fish did? Would he have gone around and bad mouthed the Rainbow Fish to all of his friends, just like the little blue fish did? Where does it end?? When is it enough?? 

Seriously, that little bluefish needs to mind his own business...

And another rant, on a some what related note, who's bright idea was it to put dust jackets on kids books?? They just end up getting riped off and torn up! Seriously dumb idea...


Lots of Love,
KJsbabe

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this book, but your review cracked me up. I see your point, and this will be one I won't be purchasing for Ava! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dying laughing over here! I remember reading this book as a kid and I never saw it that way but now that you point it out that is some crazy stuff!! Probably will not be getting for my future children one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brook, haha! Yes, don't waste your time on this one :)

    VQ, Good to hear from you!! It's been a long time! I hope everything is going wonderfully for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I like your review on this book! Nice and clear.

    ReplyDelete